Preserve Calavera has a number of priority areas on which most of our efforts are focused:
- Natural open space (acquisition and land management)
- Wildlife protection: monitoring wildlife movement through PC Tracking Team and “Adopt-a-pinch point” with the city of Carlsbad. Also, living successfully with wildlife is important. Read ways you can live close to coyotes to benefit everyone: Keep Me Wild.
- Climate Change: working to ensure cities adopt effective Climate Action Plans. See new video on this subject.
- Education/outreach: currently offering CA Naturalist Certification course, co-sponsor Endangered Species Day at Buena Vista Audubon Nature Center.
- Lake Calavera Projects: See our Lake Calavera page for information about upcoming projects including palm tree removal.
Natural Open Space
Our focus for Carlsbad’s General Plan (GP) was on ensuring 40% open space and enough park space so all residents could have reasonable access. After many months of meetings, comments and consideration, the city council adopted a GP with some minor revisions but did not include a 40% goal of open space or make significant changes in their philosophy about how parkland is counted.
The following video was made for our ongoing effort to secure more natural open space in Carlsbad:
Share our video above with friends and family.